DuckTales isn’t the only vintage game Capcom is resurrecting this summer. Dungeons & Dragons arcade beat-‘em-ups Tower of Doom and its sequel Shadow over Mystara, are banding together for an HD digital download compilation titled Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara.
Developed by Iron Galaxy Studios, the same team responsible for other high-def Capcom retro-redos like Darkstalkers Resurrection, Marvel vs Capcom Origins and Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition, Chronicles of Mystara will offer an authentic arcade mode in which players will take up arms as playable classes like the Dwarf, Cleric, Elf and Fighter and embark on a quest with branching paths and multiple endings.
In terms of new-school content, Chronicles of Mystara will feature these modern modifications:
- GGPO Enhanced Online With Drop-in/Drop-out Co-Op Play: Community-trusted GGPO powers a smooth online experience that allows up to four players to drop in or out of games in progress at will.
- Classic Arcade Gameplay with a New Twist: Players can enjoy the original arcade modes or mix up the gameplay with House Rules that can completely alter the experience.
Some examples of House Rules:
- Unbreakable – Equipable items have infinite durability. Never worry about breakage again!
- Enemy Rush – Fight against time in this special Time Attack Mode. Start the game clock with 30 seconds and increase the clock with each enemy you kill!
- Make it Rain – Get rich quick! Enemies and chests drop tons of gold!
- Challenge System: A newly introduced RPG-like system that fits on top of the existing games and provides a myriad of challenges for players to complete. Players can level up and obtain Vault Coins to be used in the Vault.
- The Vault: A treasure trove of unlockables and gameplay loot can be purchased with Vault Coins earned via the Challenge System.
- Character Visualizer: This UI visualizer tracks which characters the players and their friends most often use. Players can utilize the tool to create a more balanced multiplayer dungeon crew, or to see which under-used characters they should try out next.
- Leaderboards & Connected Arcade: Players can track how they stack up against their friends through leaderboards, as well as view a full breakdown of gameplay related stats.
- Wii U Touch Screen Enhancements: Wii U players will be able to select spells and items with ease using the touch screen leading to a seamless gameplay experience.
This D&D double pack of old-school fantasy gaming goodness will be available in June on PSN, XBLA, Wii U eShop and PC for $14.99/1200 MS Points. (Shoot, I probably pumped more than $15 worth of quarters into the original arcade Tower of Doom back in the day!)