Darksiders II on Wii U will be slightly more than a direct port of the action-adventure game currently available on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360. At launch, all existing downloadable content and pre-order incentives will be included on the disc right out of the box, totaling around 5+ hours of bonus content according to the final box art.
Being more specific, the Wii U edition will contain the following extras at no additional charge:
• Argul’s Tomb – The game’s first downloadable content pack featuring a unique area, three new dungeons and new weapons and armor to collect.
• Death Rides Pack – Three new side-quests for the Darksiders II campaign.
• Angel of Death & Shadow of Death packs – New legendary armor and weapon choices for the player early in the game.
• Deadly Despair Pack – Upgraded horse speed boost.
• Additional unique legendary weapon and armor sets for the player to use from the start of the game.
Of even greater importance, THQ has also released a selection of screenshots presenting how Darksiders II utilizes the GamePad. The entire game can be played from the GamePad without need for a TV, but when hooked up to the big screen the touchscreen will be used for ability hotkeys, inventory management, and displaying the map and quest log. If you decide to ditch the GamePad altogether, the game will fully support the Wii U Pro Controller for traditional game interaction.
Sounds good, but like many other Wii U games we’ll still have to see if having to look back and forth between the GamePad screen and the TV becomes an issue. We’ll find out when Darksiders II rides onto store shelves November 18th as one of the Wii U’s 23 day-one launch titles.