Warner Bros. officially pulled the curtain back on LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes today, revealing new details that position the game to be the largest and most ambitious LEGO video game to date.
For starters, the game will take place in an expansive Gotham City hub area modeled as an open-world environment. As Batman, Robin and other iconic DC superheroes, like Superman, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern, players will get the chance to fly (as Superman) and pilot the Batmobile, Batwing and Batboat around the large city, hunting for collectibles and secret areas and just plain having fun exploring a virtual LEGO sandbox. The storyline, which sees our band of DC Comics Super Friends fighting to save Gotham from The Joker and Lex Luthor, will follow a linear path through this open-world hub.
Another significant–and potentially controversial–development is the introduction of real, English-language voice acting. Warner Bros. and TT Games haven’t revealed the voice cast yet, but no longer will their minifigures ramble on in the cute LEGO language equivalent to Simlish. As you can see (and hear) at the end of the first trailer, The Joker speaks words you can actually understand. What are your thoughts on the change, LEGO game fans?
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes will be available this summer for PC, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, 3DS, DS and PS Vita. Trailer, screenshots and fact sheet details await your prying eyes below.
Batman and Robin return in LEGO® Batman™ 2: DC Super Heroes, the highly-anticipated sequel to the best-selling LEGO® videogame of all time, which to date has sold more than 11 million units worldwide. This time the Dynamic Duo join forces with other famous DC super heroes including Superman, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern to stop the notorious villains Lex Luthor and The Joker from destroying Gotham City. Batman fans of all ages will enjoy a new and original story filled with classic LEGO videogame action and humor as players fight to put the bad guys back behind bars.
LEGO Batman™ 2: DC Super Heroes complements the brand new, recently released LEGO® Super Heroes: DC Universe toy collection. The line includes five construction sets, such as The Batcave and three buildable, detailed action figures.
• Experience an original LEGO adventure that has Batman and Robin teaming up with Superman to defend Gotham City from The Joker and Lex Luthor.
• Discover a new storyline that introduces a massive Gotham City hub full of fun exploration, collection and vehicles.
• Traverse Gotham City’s open realm by walking, flying or unlocking and controlling a variety of cool vehicles including the Batmobile, Batwing and Batboat (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii and PC)
• Experience for the first time in a LEGO videogame, talking LEGO minifigures.
• Master new suits and gadgets, such as Batman’s Power Suit and Robin’s Hazard Suit equipped with a Pressure Cannon that can absorb and dispense hazardous liquids.
• Collect 50 DC Comics characters, including The Flash, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and many others.
• Flex your new super abilities and soar through the air with free-roaming flight, freeze and push objects with Super-Breath, and heat up and cut holes through objects with Heat Vision.
• Create unique super heroes with customizable characters.
• Play with friends and family using easy drop-in/drop-out co-op play that features dynamic split screen (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii and PC).